I'm still working on this and thinking things through. (But not letting anything stop me as I write and complete the story.)
So I've been thinking about why I'm doing this and what I hope to accomplish. Now I'm not a big planner. I've always been a seat of my pants kind of girl. There's a flow to things, and sometimes I get a feeling that the wind is blowing in one direction, and that I should follow rather than fight against it. (Though I will fight against it if I get a feeling that I should.)
So what am I hoping to accomplish here? Do I want to be famous? Well known and well considered? Maybe some of that stuff would be nice. Ok, I should be honest here. Heck yes, I wish I could make enough money that I could stop doing what I'm doing and do nothing but write!
That is a very real possibility too. Not at first of course, but given time and effort, yeah, it could probably happen. There are writers out there who are making money off their works that you never hear of. Many writers bemoan making only $1,000 off their work, and I'm like, "Damn! That's already how much I make in a month! I can live off that!"
But of course, I couldn't because there's more to think about. It's a business. That's basically what you're setting out to do, and that's what I would like to do. I want to go into business for myself. I want control of it, the rights to it, and I want to fiddle with everything, create my own image, write my own blurb, make my own cover. Nothing else appeals to me. And in fact, I think what originally turned me off from publishing was the fact that my book wouldn't be mine once I "sold" it.
There's also the terror that I'm intending to write a series because that's again what I feel. But I have no real control over it. I'm not a writer that can plan to write and then just do it. (Which is also a bad sign for me as an indie author, I know.) With something like this, I'm counting on myself which is somehow more pressure in one way and less pressure in another.
I guess because if I fail, I'm only letting myself down. And if I'm on my own, that desperation, that need and that drive will push me on and make me want to continue. It's sort of what's making me go now.
So I'm not planning on asking anyone to read what I'm working on until the online story version is done. It just seems like a good idea. By my most recent count, unless something goes wrong or my gut takes a detour, I'll be finished with the online version in eight weeks. And I should be 50% done (hopefully more) with the novel version by then or I will be very disappointed in myself.
But, uh, I do have the first couple chapters of the remastered version ready for download from here. (7,600 words at about 22 pages saved in rich text format) Thought about password protecting it, but I've taken down my own links to this blog, so I think that's enough. The first three chapters, still a work in process but closer to the original vision. The liner notes at the end of chapter 3 are because I'm thinking of taking those paragraphs out, or rewriting them, but was too lazy to fiddle with them right now.
skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Sunday, February 13, 2011
Labels
writing kinda
(18)
thinking thoughts
(6)
art I think
(3)
characters
(3)
future indie author
(3)
Ruin
(2)
real life
(2)
being silly
(1)
creeped out
(1)
did I just say that
(1)
ereader
(1)
freak out
(1)
inspiration
(1)
smashwords
(1)
truths about myself
(1)


3 comments:
Ha, my financial goals aren't very lofty either. The last time I actually had a job (OMG, seriously, eight years ago? lol!), I was a waitress making like $15,000 a year. So if I can match that, I'll be cool. If I can beat that, I'll be golden! :D
But anyway, I think your commitment to your blog this past year is good proof that you'll do just fine! You can plan and deliver. You've done it already!
Oh wow, only eight more weeks left on the blog!?! I'll miss your weekly updates when they're over, but I'm even more excited to see you finish off this first book of your series and get it launched!
And I swiped your first chapters!!! I can't wait to read them! :)
Oh, one random thing that just popped into my head. If/when we do start making actual money, we have to remember to set aside money for taxes. Writing income falls under the same category as self-employment taxes. Jim's been doing freelance in addition to his day-job for a while now, and I do our taxes, so I know self-employment taxes are a serious bitch!
I think it's realistic to keep those goals in check, lol. It's enough to have something to aim for and a goal to reach.
And only eight more weeks and then a story blog vacation, lol. I'm trying to decide what story I'll want to tell next.
Also, thanks for that reminder. Ugh, taxes. They're so easy for me right now since I don't make a lot of money and since we file separately.
Post a Comment