I've really been meaning to write about the man I am going to call K.
He's gotta be the strangest person I've ever met. He showed up after I'd been here for six months looking for an apartment. Right away I could tell something was off with him, but I couldn't tell what. (Because of my sister, I think I'm a bit sensitive to these things sometimes at least subconsciously even if not overtly. This doesn't mean I'm always right about it, mind you.)
He was very talkative. Plus he's the sort of person who couldn't pick up on cues that indicated the conversation was ending. I'd end up having to tell him a flat out good bye before he'd go and then it would be very abrupt and I'd wonder if he was mad at me for being so blunt.
But he wasn't. He never got mad about my being blunt. In fact, that's what he liked. He left and ended up coming back and applying for an apartment. Well I was just thrilled at the time. He was trouble all the way. Not only did he talk too much, and he brought along his 80 year old mother (he was almost 60), but he couldn't fill out his own application and so I had to do it for him as he gave me the answers one afternoon in my office.
Why would I put up with this? Would anyone else have bothered? I dunno, but I'd been taught by my old boss that sometimes you have to go out of your way to make a sale, and that's basically what I was doing. (I attack renting apartments like I'm making sales which from what I've seen is a very different tactic from the normal way apartments are rented, so let that be a reminder to me that it's okay to do things different from what's probably the standard procedure.)
Well he got it based on his own merits. That's a very simple sentence. What I mean is HE GOT IN. Well crap, that brought on a whole bunch of new issues. He hadn't moved in years, and he was freaking out (in a manly way I'll add, though I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse). Plus, once he was in, I'd have to put up with visits from him that lasted forever unless I asked him to go. (Seriously, he was in my office once for over an hour mostly talking.)
The strange part though is that in listening and learning about him, I actually found myself softening a little. Whereas before I thought he was weird, the things I learned about him sort of helped me explain his behaviors.
He comes across to me as a very blunt and honest guy, so I don't think he's lying when he tells me the things he tells me. According to him, he's been a jockey, a musician, a military man, a carnie running carnival games, a house painter, and a sanitarium worker. He goes into detail about each of these jobs and what he learned about people and other strange factoids about his life.
Is he lying? Honestly, I do have my suspicions. But he is very earnest about it and very honest and blunt about it. Plus he's simply entertaining. So I could sit there and question him about it, doubting him all the way, or I could just take what he's telling me for the most interesting story I've heard come out of someone's mouth.
At some point, I decided that the truth of it didn't matter to me. I actually do enjoy our talks (in short doses). And whether or not it's real, it's interesting.
But perhaps one of the most important things I've learned from him is to just keep at it. He manages to win over a lot of people. He talks a lot and he talks to a lot of different people about a lot of different things, and he will listen if you speak up. I'm sure there are plenty of people who doubt him, but for those people who do there are those other people he's won over who do accept and believe him and most importantly trust him.
skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Labels
writing kinda
(18)
thinking thoughts
(6)
art I think
(3)
characters
(3)
future indie author
(3)
Ruin
(2)
real life
(2)
being silly
(1)
creeped out
(1)
did I just say that
(1)
ereader
(1)
freak out
(1)
inspiration
(1)
smashwords
(1)
truths about myself
(1)


0 comments:
Post a Comment