Thursday, December 2, 2010

Ereader & electronic life

So I was sort of feeling guilty and sad about wanting to cave in and get an ereader. It means the start of the end of an era. (Which will probably take a very long time, but still, you can almost see it coming.)

It means the end of used books and used book shops. No more easily sharing books anymore with friends.

But then as I was looking through my Google reader for the morning, catching up on various blogs (lots of updates this morning!) suddenly I realized a ray of hope. We're reading! All the time.

This is the future. We communicate on a medium where we have to read and we have to write. There is no better way to share our thoughts really. Words are roaming free. It's kind of amazing to think about, and sadly, I don't think I can capture that hope with words.


I will say that eReaders also give me hope for up and coming writers. The publishing industry is cutthroat because it costs money to produce books, right? There's tons you have to pay for, most especially the physical product. But electronic publishing should be easier. I've seen people selling short stories and self published books. I'm sure they don't make a lot of money from it, but still, kind of exciting that it is out there at all.

It's sort of the time for writers right now. It probably means that it will be harder for our voices to be heard, but it at least is possible to put our voices out there.

One of the things I've learned in life is that screaming doesn't help, but sneaking up works. Be where they least expect you. Watch quietly, and take your chance when it's presented. I keep having this feeling that there's a chance sneaking up on me, and I need to keep my eye out. I may have to go after it a little, do some more digging around.

The only scary part of all this are the people. People terrify me and I hate politics. There are ways to walk the line, be involved and not get involved, but it does take a lot of work and sometimes a lot of not working. (I'm great at the non-work!)

Basically, I would like what I want but I would like it the way I want it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment