Ten rule for writing fiction by multiple writers.
I love Neil Gaiman. He's is the most accessible when it comes to his craft. He's friendly and outgoing, and actually answers questions. Seriously when does he find time to write?
So his tips are particularly awesome. He thought up eight, but this one (his last one) really struck a cord:
"The main rule of writing is that if you do it with enough assurance and confidence, you're allowed to do whatever you like. (That may be a rule for life as well as for writing. But it's definitely true for writing.)"
This is indeed a rule for life and writing. I learned this from my days working at Target. If someone asked you a question, and you sounded unsure, they were more likely to get angry with you. If you sounded sure, and you said with confidence, "I don't know," people would always go, "Oh, okay."
The first tip I give anyone at work is to say it with confidence. Even if you're giving them a non-answer, people like to hear you say it like you know what you're talking about. I am always amazed that this works.
The other day, I realized that when I get writer's block, it's because I have stopped trusting myself and my ability to tell a story. I'll start writing and then stop (if I even begin), unsure of how to proceed or where to go. On strong days, I will just say "fuck it" and write whatever comes to mind freely and decide to fix it later.
There is a self assurance on those days that's almost presumptuous. When the voice of that editor hops in to pick at whatever I'm doing, I will think on those strong days, "Ah, it'll be okay. I can do anything. Even fix this trash." (And rest assured it is usually trash when I start. I'll do anything on those good days to get writing, once even writing a sex scene that would be taboo and which may never happen in the story. But it could happen, and so that gave me some insight into a character which I thought was strong, because everyone has a weakness.)
"So write your story as it needs to be written. Write it honestly, and tell it as best you can. I'm not sure that there are any other rules. Not ones that matter."
And that I think I can do. Most days. Any of those other days can go to hell.
skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Friday, February 19, 2010
Labels
writing kinda
(18)
thinking thoughts
(6)
art I think
(3)
characters
(3)
future indie author
(3)
Ruin
(2)
real life
(2)
being silly
(1)
creeped out
(1)
did I just say that
(1)
ereader
(1)
freak out
(1)
inspiration
(1)
smashwords
(1)
truths about myself
(1)


3 comments:
Oh, I saw that article too! That was good! I agree that Neil Gaiman always has a very honest and accessible approach to his work. I like Margaret Atwood too :) And Joyce Carol Oates.
I agree about the confidence thing - people can sense uncertainty like animals sense fear. And yes, that does apply to all areas of life.
That's really interesting applying that to writers block then. I think you're probably right! I've never thought about it that way, but yes, it usually is when you've lost confidence in the story and where it's going. Ah-ha! :)
Neil Gaiman is amazingly talented and one of those creative people who seem to be good at everything no matter what he does, it turns to gold. And his advice is always very good. I remember when I was doing Nanowrimo, and he wrote one of the articles that authors send out during the event and it was truly inspiring.
The golden rule of writing is to believe in yourself and in what you are doing. Once you achieve that, then everything else takes care of itself. As a very wise editor once told me, believe that you have a story to tell and tell it. He knew I was unsure of my story because it came across in the narrative so it's interesting about what you said in regards to saying things with confidence and convinction. It really does work.
I saw Atwood is on twitter. (She's been killing me with those Thnax retweets.)
Oh, sounds like we're one step closer to helping it along. Usually, on those day I write somewhere, "Not a good day to write/work on this." Then I read something.
Oh yeah, that was 2008, I think! I know I still have that email somewhere because I remember it was so well written and had SUCH good advice. Thanks for reminding me!
I agree with you. Sometimes though, while in the process, it is SO easy to get lost, distracted, or just stop believing in it completely.
Very interesting that you say that. Yeah, I can see that showing up in the narrative.
So now my goal is figuring out ways to trick myself back into the "F-it" mode, lol.
Post a Comment